Friday, April 17, 2009

Living Without Access to Health Care - by Kathy Utley

Not have having access to health care for the past 8 years has changed the way I look at my own health issues. Because I do not have access to health care I am much more careful about being well!

I have taken responsibility for my health and well-being. I have lost weight and eat as much locally grown organic foods as I can afford. Thank goodness I live in a community that has many of these resources available to me. I quit smoking years ago and five years ago quit drinking alcohol. I walk about three miles everyday and do not eat fast foods or processed foods at all. I have quit consuming dairy and do not eat peanut products or foods with wheat gluten.

I pray and meditate on a daily basis and attend support groups to deal with my personal growth issues. I make sure that I have healthy social outlets and maintain quality relationships with my family and friends. I have had to educate myself about wellness and occassionally have had to treat myself either through homeopathic means or over the counter drugs at the drug store.

I truly practice preventive medicine. The result of all of this is that I feel great and look healthy too. I have a higher energy level and a better outlook on life. I think that the current health care system causes unhealthiness and even encourages unhealthy practices. There are little to no incentives to practice prevention.

Because our current health care system in based on a capitalist or material model, there is a bottom line and a reason to have sick customers. I do not have the means to shop at their store or belong to their system. The result has made me happy, healthy and content!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for commenting : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are a model of preventive medicine! Good for you! I know I don't do certain things too because I don't have health insurance. Namely, things like skiing or other activities that are a bit risky and hard on the body. I had a skiing accident years ago that haunts me. Come to think of it, I did not have insurance then either! I dislocated my knee. I needed physical therapy but since I did not have insurance, I decided to do my own. I was big into working out so thought I could handle it. Turns out, I mended pretty well on my own and never had any problems with that knee again!

    ReplyDelete